Windsor Essex Maker's Association
A Useful List of Suppliers
Herewith find sources of many nifty things.
Clock and Watch Supplies
- Timesavers, wide variety of parts, tools, supplies. A source of black dial wax.
- Otto Frei, broad selection of watch parts and movements.
- Uncle Larry’s Watch Shop, sells used and rare watchmaking tools.
- Mile Hi Clock Supplies
- HS Walsh, clockmaker tools and parts. British company, bears the Royal Warrant.
- PP Thornton, specialty cutters for gears, escape wheels, ratchets.
- Clockmakers Newsletter, clockmaker books.
- Hermle, mechanical clock movement manufacturer.
- Horia, Swiss manufacturer of watch tools.
- Clockmaking Brass, metals for clockmakers. British company.
- WatchDoc, used tools.
- Timekeepers Workbench, single tooth gear cutters. Less expensive than Thornton.
- Digi-Key, supplier with enormous selection and shockingly fast delivery. Not particularly cheap, though. Stocks Sparkfun and Adafruit products as well.
- Tayda, based in Singapore. Limited selection, but shockingly cheap. Not the fastest for delivery, but you can manage a thousand parts for $30 with shipping.
- DipMicro, a favourite of Terry McAlinden. Good prices, based in Quebec so shipping speed is decent.
- 4PCB, PCB fab house.
- Quick Stencil, SMT solder stencils.
- Frontpanel Express, custom front panels.
- SynthCube, DIY synthesizer kits and parts.
- Midnight Science, crystal set parts and books.
- Polycase, project boxes.
- EHC Knobs, knobs of every description.
- Veroboard, strip board and perf board.
- Flipdots, flip dot displays.
- All Spectrum Supply, all kinds of cool things.
- RETRO Innovations, Commodore 64 accessories.
- IComp, C64 and Amiga accessories.
- PAiA, electronic kits including synthesizer kits.
- Amplified Parts, amplifier parts.
- Molex Kits, molex connector kits.
- Alchemy Lab Supply, convenient and Canadian source for reasonably priced glassware.
- SPI Supplies, Microscopy supplies, sells mica sheets.
- University Wafer, silicon wafers. Some are really expensive, others are reasonable.
- Solution Materials, gallium and other metals.
- Discount Vials, glass vials.
- KJ Magnetics, pyrolytic graphite and supermagnets.
- Carolina Biologicals
- Comeau Technique, fluorescent dye tracers.
- Ted Pella Inc, needles, picks, probes.
- Fine Science Tools, supplier of obsidian scalpels and other surgical instruments.
- Component Supply Company, hypodermic tubing.
- Biotech Equipment Sales, used biotech equipment.
- Goodfellow, laboratory materials, exotic stuff including aluminum honeycomb.
- Kurt J Lesker, high vacuum equipment and parts.
- Indigo Instruments, inexpensive lab supplies.
- Prolab Scientific, based in Quebec, will sell to individuals. Does not take visa debit cards.
- Duniway Stockroom, high-vacuum supplies.
- Buy Aerogel, sells aerogel in a variety of shapes and sizes.
Lasers and Optics
- ThorLabs, expensive laboratory supplier of numerous cool things. Includes candy in orders.
- VS Eyewear, laser safety glasses.
- Newport, laser optics and mechanical.
- American Printing Equipment, various letterpress supplies.
- Talas, archival, conservation, and bookbinding supplies.
- Skyline Type Foundry, manufactures lead movable type in a variety of fonts.
- M&H Type Foundry, another movable type foundry.
- NA Graphics, letterpress parts and supplies.
- Hern Iron Works, canons, mortars, and printing press treadles.
- Tarheel Roller and Brayer Company, composition rollers and brayers.
- Boxcar Press, ink supplier.
Local To Windsor
- Essex Metals, both ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Will cut to order. Minimum order is $75.
- Torbram Electric Supply, electric supplies, buttons, panel boxes, terminal blocks, DIN rail, etc. Friendly and happy to do business with individuals. Wide selection, showroom is small. Bring a list and ask the clerk and they’ll grab everything for you.
- KBC Tools, always friendly. Great source for a wide variety of tools.
- Fastenal, very wide selection of fasteners. Does not like dealing with individuals, but can’t check if you give a random company name.
- Lee Valley Tools, much cool, very nifty.
- McMaster-Carr, massive industrial supplier that is always happy to have your business. Stocks almost everything.
- Misumi, sells what dreams are made of. Huge array of machine parts and configurable components, available from stock in 1mm increments.
- Bags Unlimited, supplier of all manner of bags.
- TAPP Plastics, plastic tube, sheet, and items.
- Fungi Perfecti, suppliers of edible mushrooms and equipment for growing same.
- Sculpture Supply Canada, supplies for sculptors and special effects.
- Johnson Magic Products, makes a variety of coin tricks.
- Dube Juggling, sells high quality juggling supplies.
- Goudurix, magic and juggling supplies from Quebec.
- Badge and Wallet, custom badges.
- Stanley London, brass telescopes.
- Sparrows Lock Picks
- Seals, tamper evident seals.
- PHD Coins, geocaching coins.
- Gokart Supply, gokart parts.
- The Compleat Sculptor
- Lockpick Canada
- Game Master Dice, source for unusual dice.
- Kurokigoishiten, high end Go stones. Very spendy, but beautiful.
- Grand Illusions, really cool toys.
- Supply Captain, paracord.
- Amazing Magnets, supplier of high-quality neodymium magnets.
- Cable Ties and More, cable management supplies.
- PlasticWorld, Canadian supplier of plastics, resin, and related supplies.
- JW Winco, impressive selection of machine elements.
- Motion Canada
- Awesome For Sale, created the gravity hook and other useful tools.
- KHK Gears, very large selection of gears at reasonable prices.
- Stock Drive Products, huge variety of gears, ratchets, pawls, belt drives, etc.
Models and Miniatures
- Walthers, model railroad supplies, huge selection.
- Scale Hobbyist
- Model Builder’s Supply
- Taskboard, lightweight wood fibre board. Easily worked and cut.
- Utrecht Art Supplies
- Great Hobbies, Canadian supplier to the RC hobbies.
- Stevens Aero Modelling, laser-cut balsa model airplane kits.
- Mini Materials, miniature cinder blocks, bricks, pallets, and lumber.
- Northeastern Scale Lumber, scale lumber and doors.
- Hand Laid Track, supplies for hand-laying model railroad track.
- Little Dollhouse Company, doll house furniture and supplies.
- GC Laser, model railroad structure kits.
- Brodak, specializes in control-line model aircraft.
Model Engineering and Hobby Machining
- Martin Model Products, unmachined flywheel castings.
- Wells Foundry, will sand cast your patterns for you.
- Rapidair Products, DIY compressed air distribution systems.
- Freeman Supply, die and pattern making supplies.
- Got Grit, bulk abrasive grit for telescope making.
- Airpot, pneumatic dashpots. Also sells precision graphite pistons with fitted glass cylinders.
- Candy Controls, gearboxes, phase-shift couplings.
- A&W Precision, tools for precision hand scraping.
- Metal Lathe Accessories, kits for various tooling, including a very neat filing machine.
- Hemingway Kits, casting sets for tools and engines.
- Alustock, aluminum supplier.
- Alpha Knife Supply, knife making supplies.
- Lindow Clock Works, manufactures a very nice rose engine and rose engine accessories.
- MADE Lathe, another manufacturer associated with Lindow. Machines are very spendy.
Pens, Ink, and Paper
- Goulet Pens, huge selection of inks and fountain pens.
- Cult Pens, pens of all types.
- Crane Paper, very high quality cotton paper. Has had the contract to manufacture paper for American currency since the 18th century.
- Levenger, various beautiful things.
Pinball and Arcade Machine Parts
- Automation Direct, stocks a wide variety of automation and process control parts at reasonable prices.
- Clippard Minimatics, wide variety of small pneumatic components, including pneumatic logic, valves, regulators, etc.
- Coast Pneumatics, wide selection of pneumatic fittings and components.
Radiation Monitoring and Research
Robots and Electromechanical
- Hobby King, inexpensive source of RC parts and accessories.
- Tower Hobbies
- Boca Bearings
- ServoCity, wide variety of useful parts.
- Gizmoszone, miniature motors and gears.
- Makeblock, gears, beams, mechanical and structural parts.
- Robot Marketplace
- BattleKits, combat robot kits.
- RobotDigg, very broad selection.
- DC Props, halloween props and controllers.
- Hummingbird Robotics Kit, controller programmable in Scratch.
- Micro-Mark, small tools.
- Dumont Tweezers, high-end, precise tweezers.
- Grobet USA, Swiss files.
- Eternal Tools, specializing in small carbide cutters.
- Micro-Tools, small tools, sells Kodak parts for DIY repair.
- Sharpening Supplies, sells DMT diamond laps.
- Paleo Tools, tools for cleaning and preparation of fossils.
- ARTCO, abrasive stones for mold polishing.
- StewMac, luthier tools and supplies.
- American Eagle Instruments, quality curettes.